Monday, February 8, 2016

Inside Not Out

I often have insecurities. I think we all do. I sometimes wonder if I'm good enough, pretty enough, if I'll ever catch someones eye.  I know I am pretty and good. But I don't often feel like others think that. 

That's what I'm going to talk about today.

Being the nerd girl that I am, my mind often wanders to my fictional heroes. 

In this case it goes to Steve Rogers, AKA Captain America. Before his Super Solider days, Steve was a puny under average human being that was constantly beat up. No one but his friend Bucky liked him. Bucky was a good looking dude that all the ladies loved. Bucky liked Steve, not for his outward appearance, cause that sure wasn't that great. No, Bucky like Steve for his insides. 

See, Steve stood up to the bullies. That's why he became such a great Captain America. That's why he  was Captain America. The serum increased what was inside. Steve's loyal, good heart bloomed into Captain America.


I think we all need to be like Bucky. We need to judge others not by what's outside. You can be the most beautiful person ever but inside look like crap. 

Or vice versa. 

You can be ugly, twisted, scared but if what's inside is filled with what is good and lovely, it will shine so much brighter.

I'm in the musical the Secret Garden and this play proves my point beautifully.

Archibald Craven is a man with a hump on his back. His niece, Mary is orphaned in India when her parents die form the cholera. Mary is a "sour little thing." Her mother, Rose, was a beauty and everyone "loved" her. Rose's sister, Lilly, married Archie despite his hump. 

Rose in one scene of the musical yells at Lilly about loving Archie with his hump. Lilly tells Rose that Archie has one of the "tenderest hearts she's ever seen."

My point is, Rose was a beauty outwardly but inwardly she was uglier than a monster. 

Archie was ugly outwardly, but Lilly looked beyond that, at his heart and found a tender, loving soul.       
I may not feel pretty. I may not feel loved. But I do know of One who loves and cherishes me beyond reason. He created the stars, and yet He calls me beautiful. He thinks I am perfect because He created me and everything He makes is perfect. 

1 Samuel 16:7 -  
But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”


No comments:

Post a Comment